Later On

A blog written for those whose interests more or less match mine.

High-church services bad for your health?

with 4 comments

Science News reports a potential problem in high-church services: serious pollution from candles and incense. (The same problem clearly could occur in homes that are heavy on candles and incense.)

Even brief exposure to contaminated air during a religious service could be harmful to some people, says atmospheric scientist Stephan Weber of the University of Duisburg-Essen in Essen, Germany. A previous study in the Netherlands indicated that the pollutants in smoke from incense and candles may be more toxic than fine-particle pollution from sources such as vehicle engines.

… There have been few investigations of the health consequences of candles and incense, even though they are usually lit indoors, sometimes in crowded spaces with limited ventilation.

Weber conducted the new study in St. Engelbert Church in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany. The church staff burns candles during each mass and incense on some holidays.

Weber installed two devices that continuously sampled air during a 13-day period that began on Christmas Eve of 2004. The equipment measured concentrations of particles up to 10 micrometers in diameter (PM10) and also those 1 µm or smaller (PM1), which endanger people’s hearts, lungs, and arteries.

During the study, incense burners and candles were lit for services at midnight on Christmas Day, on the morning of the following day, and on New Year’s Eve. During services on other days, only candles burned.

Concentrations of both types of particles almost doubled during services that used only candles. Simultaneous use of incense and candles raised the concentration of PM10 to about seven times that recorded between services, and PM1 reached about nine times its background abundance.

Particulate-matter concentrations quickly dropped after the candles were extinguished, but remained elevated for 24 hours after simultaneous use of candles and incense, Weber reports in an upcoming Environmental Science & Technology.

Even the relatively modest increase linked to candles concerns Theo de Kok of Maastricht University in the Netherlands. In past experiments, he and his collaborators found that PM10 from candles might be especially harmful because, in the body, unidentified constituents of the smoke readily generate free radicals that damage cells.

After candles had burned in a Dutch chapel for 9 hours, particles in the air there formed 10 times as many free radicals as airborne particulates collected along busy roadways do, de Kok’s group reported 2 years ago.

“Even after relatively short exposure, you can expect acute health effects” in susceptible groups, such as shortness of breath in people with asthma, de Kok says. He adds that he knows of no study examining whether groups such as priests and frequent churchgoers have elevated rates of cancer or other pollution-associated health problems.

Incense isn’t used exclusively for religious purposes. Some people who live in cramped quarters burn incense to mask household odors, de Kok notes. In fact, an incense-using student originally proposed the study that de Kok’s group conducted.

Written by LeisureGuy

30 August 2006 at 12:18 pm

Posted in Environment, Health, Science

4 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. thanks heaps thats very interesting, but would it effect the people who use it every now and the say once a month for just pleasure, would it still be dangerous

    nathan

    19 September 2006 at 12:28 am

  2. As noted in the post, “Even brief exposure to contaminated air during a religious service could be harmful to some people.”

    LeisureGuy

    19 September 2006 at 6:41 am

  3. The information IS interesting, but there are countless things which can be irritating or harmful to some people. Some restaurants burn candles; coal fired barbecue grills emit fumes and are ignited with petroleum products; campfires, fireplaces and wood/coal stoves emit smoke and fumes; lawns when mowed put particles into the air. We can’t stop living. Seems more like it would be correct to say that “Even brief exposure to LIFE could be harmful to some people.” I’d rather attend beautiful church services with candles and incense, even as my ancestors did, and lose a few hours of living, than live in a drab, sterile, and safe world where I would live longer but have few simple pleasures.

    Hans

    10 June 2008 at 11:05 am

  4. The point, Hans, is to know the tradeoffs you’re making when you expose yourself (and, presumably your family) to health risks in favor of seeing candles burn. For you, obviously, the sight of the candles and the smell of the incense is worth the damage. But choices should be made with full information, and the point of the research is to provide that information.

    BTW, burning candles outdoors (along with coal grills outdoors, etc.) is quite a different thing than burning candles indoors. Ventilation is a key consideration.

    LeisureGuy

    10 June 2008 at 11:11 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,293 other followers