Cold soup for summer: blueberry-yogurt
Sweet Blueberry Soup with Yogurt
Yield 4 servings Time 20 minutes, plus time to chill
- 1 pint blueberries, picked over and washed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more if needed
- 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream, plus more for garnish
1. Combine the blueberries, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries fall apart, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Cool the mixture a little, then puree in a blender, taking care not to burn yourself (or tarnish things with the blueberry juice, which will stain). Taste and add more sugar or cinnamon if necessary. Chill, then stir in yogurt or sour cream. Serve cold, garnished with more yogurt or sour cream.
Also, this cold avocado soup:
Ultrafast Avocado Soup
Yield: 4 servings. Time: 10 minutes, plus chilling
About 2 cups chopped ripe avocado flesh (3 or 4 small avocados)
3 cups milk, preferably whole
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or to taste
A handful or more of small cooked shrimp
Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.
1. Put chopped avocado in a blender. Add half the milk, a large pinch of salt and a small pinch of cayenne; process to a purée. Add remaining milk and purée, then chill for up to 6 hours if you have time (press a piece of plastic wrap to surface of soup so it does not discolor).
2. Add lime juice, taste, then adjust seasoning, if necessary. Garnish with shrimp and parsley or cilantro, and serve.