Private blog as a journal
I haven’t seen this idea discussed anywhere. I got it from The Wife.
Free blog software (WordPress.com, Blogger.com, et al.) can be used as a journal by simply making the blog private. Blog software offers quite a few benefits as a journal:
- Can access your journal from any computer, smartphone, iPad, etc.
- Can easily include photos, videos, etc.
- Can readily search the journal
- Can tag entries with tags and also put an entry into one or more categories
- Every entry automatically date- and time-stamped
- If TSA seizes your computer, your journal’s not on it
Journals can quite useful. Some possibilities:
- College-years journal
- Baby journal
- Project journal – could try a joint journal, just for project team members, but I think it could become a time sink; private journals probably better
- Work journal – always good to have a timely record kept outside the workplace, not on a work computer but kept where you can always access it from a home computer as well as from a work computer (not to mention iPad, iPhone, etc.)
This strikes me as an extremely useful idea. I personally prefer WordPress.com but The Wife is a big fan of Blogger.com. Give it a go.