6 questions for Obama
I suggest that Congress address the questions to Obama and make their vote in the light of his response. I got the questions via this column by James Fallows; as he notes, “On the Foreign Policy site, Tom Mahnken has listed six more questions about the administration’s rationale and plans.”
- What objectives does the administration seek to achieve in Syria?
- How does it anticipate that the use of force will lead to the fulfillment of those objectives?
- What is the administration’s theory of victory? That is, what are the assumptions that link the use of military force to the achievement of victory?
- How does the administration believe that Syria will respond to the U.S. use of force?
- What does the administration believe could go wrong? What unexpected things could happen?
- And finally, how does the administration anticipate that this will end?